Monday, February 22, 2016

Warriors Test Positive for Battlers

The February 17th COTHL matchup between fan favourites the Black Aces and the struggling Warriors featured 2 teams attempting to bolster their lineups with the addition of some extra players.

The Warriors smartly raided the Battlers bench for some added firepower, upping their talent level by roughly 45%. The Aces on the other hand dug deep into the farm system and recruited... a pirate and a surfer. Ok then.

I've been drunk since November
Whoa.
“I did feel like a right Barney out there tonight” said part-time surfer / mountaineer / hotelier Joe P after the game. “It’s been ages since I had the skates on and the ice did feel a bit blown out. Not exactly a choka night for me, dude, and I was totally noodled by the end of it. But it was ripper seeing the lads again, totally bueno.”

“Yar, ‘twas righteous and glory-ful to be back on the frozen water again, to be sure” croaked former school teacher and now neo-pirate Al H once the final handshakes had been dispensed with. “I did me best to hold things down abaft, but me skates felt like they was full of lead dubloons and me arse was run aground by the third period. I also ran out of rum in me water bottle.”

By now you may have guessed the outcome of the game. The Blackshirts had a 2-1 lead in the third but insisted on playing in the Polite Style and watched as the Battlers-enhanced Warriors squad pulled even and then ahead in the final 30 seconds.

Pirates and surfers could not make up for the missing Aces on the night - Mark, Simon, Rod, Gerry and Artie. A strong game in the nets by John was similarly wasted.

The good news is the Aces have locked up first place on the season, so a revenge rematch with the stock model Warriors is on the horizon in the first round of the playoffs. Only one more regular season game until then, and the Aces are rumoured to be icing a squad that includes a chef, a yeti, a drag queen, a ski jumper and a baby.

No comments: