Friday, October 18, 2013

Circle of Life Continues in the COTHL

They say time stands still for no man, not even amateur hockey players, and so we find ourselves this year with some new faces on the Aces. Faces attached to younger, better men as the old guard gives way to the new. The Circle of Life continues. 


Step aside, geezers.
Your humble scribe was recently able to arrange an exclusive interview with the 3 newest Aces; Kevin, Mark and Paul. The full interview will be appearing on the Hockey Night in Canada (Punjabi) broadcast this year, but below are some selected excerpts from that interview. 

JM (interviewer) : Hello gentlemen, welcome to the COTHL and to the Black Aces Hockey Club. How are you finding the level of play in the league so far?

Kevin: It’s been fantastic, I’ve really been enjoying myself in every game. It’s amazing that even at such an advanced age there are still guys out there who can play at a high level.

Mark: I agree with Kevin. There was one shift in the last game where I’m pretty sure I felt some sweat soaking through my shirt. Could have been some spilled water, but yeah, let’s go with sweat. 

Paul: It’s so cool that I get to play in this league because there are a few guys that are friends with my dad at work, and he likes it when we beat them. 

JM: Why don’t you tell us a bit about your hockey resume. Where were you playing before joining the Aces?

Paul: mostly in the back yard on the rink my dad built for me and my brother, who is a total poo-head. So I’m really happy to be skating on a full sized rink now. It's wicked.

Kevin: I was in my last year of bantam house league, but there weren’t many junior scouts coming around. I was looking at having to go back to school and finish my grade 9 when I got the call from the Aces. This is way more fun than sitting through English class, you know what I mean?

Mark: I was pretty much just playing NHL14 on my xbox, with the occasional street hockey game on weekends. This is a lot more fun, and the other kids on the team seem really cool. Plus my mom says I need the exercise. Like, whatever.

JM: Kevin, you’ve had some strong games in the net so far.

Kevin: Thanks, dude. I guess it helps that slap shots aren’t allowed and most of the guys in the league are kind of too old to take a decent wrist shot. Our defense is super solid too, so that makes things easier. 

JM: Mark and Paul, you’ve shown some great chemistry out there so far. How do you explain the way you’ve been able to connect with each other so quickly?

Mark: We spend a lot of time online playing World of Warcraft with each other, maybe that’s it?

Paul: Yeah, it’s kind of like we knew each other already. Hey Mark, looks like your mom is here to pick you up.

Mark: Yup, I gotta go. Thanks for the interview, mister! 

Mark, Kevin and Paul. The newest members of the Black Aces
In actual hockey news, the Aces kept their undefeated streak alive last week with a 3-2 win over the Wyse Guys. A tally from Bruce plus 2 more from Mark (one on a cross-ice Hail Mary pass from your humble scribe for the go-ahead goal) put the game away under ice conditions so snowy that the city had to call in the army to clear it all away after the game. Let’s hope the zamboni is off the DL for next week. 

Also, the team would like to welcome back Ralph, who is returning from having carbon fiber and titanium joints implanted into his legs during the offseason. League rules do not forbid this procedure so we're pretty sure he's cleared to play.

Hakuna Matata.


No comments: